Another advancement in dental technology offered at Advanced Periodontics is Piezosurgery, a new bone-cutting technique that involves the use of ultrasonic waves. This technique has become increasingly common in dental practices. The handheld device generates micro-vibrations to safely and precisely cut through bone while leaving soft tissues and vital anatomical structures untouched. We are able to use this tool in a wide range of dental applications, including oral surgery, implantology, and periodontics. Most specifically, this device has changed the way we graft maxillary sinuses that require large volumes of bone. It provides confidence in knowing that soft tissues within the sinus will remain intact during surgery and reduces surgical time drastically, thereby minimizing postoperative discomfort and recovery time for our patients.
Advantages of Piezosurgery:
- Bone that has been cut regenerates more rapidly.
- Visibility of the operative area is improved due to a blood-free surgical site.
- The ultrasonic unit can, with limited bone loss, prepare a bony window for easy access to the impacted tooth or root.
- Piezosurgery requires reduced hand pressure. Operator sensitivity and control are therefore improved, so the clinician can develop a better feel for the micro-vibrations that create the cutting action.
- Piezosurgical devices do not heat up with use, meaning there is no danger of thermal damage to the adjacent tissue.
- Patients generally experience reduced traumatic stress during procedures where piezosurgery is used to cut the bone.
- Piezosurgery allows bone cutting and splitting with maximum precision.
- Piezosurgery allows for easy collection of grafting material, such as bone blocks or bone chips for dental implants.
- Piezosurgery allows for flat cuts and curvilinear cuts.
- There is less inflammation following procedures performed with piezosurgery.
- The patient experiences minimal surgical trauma and rapid postoperative healing.
At Advanced Periodontics we use state-of-the-art technology to advance your oral health and aesthetics in our Hamden and New Haven offices.