Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®)
LANAP® is an innovative technique for the treatment of periodontal (gum) disease that is safe, effective, and is typically more comfortable for patients. Just like LASIK in the hands of an eye surgeon, LANAP® allows the dental surgeon to treat gum disease with precision and greater comfort using the Millennium PerioLase® (an Nd-YAG laser) in a minimally invasive procedure that eliminates cutting and suture surgery. For patients, this means single-day procedures with less discomfort and downtime from work and other daily activities. The procedure assists periodontists in saving teeth that would otherwise be extracted. The procedure is not indicated for every patient, particularly those who have disease around molar teeth with thick, fibrous gum tissue or those who smoke heavily.
Who will benefit from LANAP®?
Laser therapy provides additional pocket reduction and antibacterial control for patients with:
- Refractory periodontal infections where surgical therapy previously has been employed;
- Disease-affected cosmetic areas where gum recession should be avoided;
- Previous periodontal therapy;
- Very advanced, inoperable pockets where the alternative treatment is tooth extraction;
- Continuing pocket breakdown during maintenance;
- Medical problems that contraindicate traditional surgical methods; and/or
- Emotional concerns, such as fear of surgery.
Dental providers who offer the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®) must successfully complete training on the specific LANAP® protocol and be certified by Millennium Dental Technologies. We use the Millennium PerioLase® laser with excellent results. It is the latest generation of the Nd:YAG laser and is specifically designed to treat periodontal disease. Visit www.lanap.com for more information.